Bookology: Why I Love Fantasy + A Lot of Aladdin Gifs

Hola, Internet. As you've probably gathered by now, I'm a little bit of a bookworm.


Just a few of the books I'm in love with....

My mother works in a library, so it was never unheard of for me to hand her a 'small' list of books I wanted her to bring home for me, and then devour them all in one sitting. I actually used to have a large red bucket when I was younger, and I'd shove a cushion into it and turn it into some sort of makeshift reading-chair. Needless to say, it wasn't very comfortable.

I can still remember the very first series that I properly fell in love with: it was Enid Blyton's The Five Find-Outers, and I was determined to read every book in that series if it killed me (which I eventually ended up doing).

Next up, we had the Nancy Drew Series. The delightful tales of a teenage sleuth who solves mysteries with her totally awesome friends while living a normal life. By now, I was beginning to notice that most of the books that I liked had these things called 'mysteries' in them: Behold, the mystery genre.

But it still wasn't enough.

Like the addict that I was, I craved more. Whilst these books were good for a little snack, I was longing for the one book that would satisfy my intense hunger for the written word.

And so my mother suggested fantasy books.

Within weeks, I had gone through The Chronicles of Narnia, Muddle Earth, The Magic Treehouse and many more victims of my addiction. Thanks to my mother, I was hooked.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and I've grown up a bit. High school has reared its ugly head and during these five, monochromatic days of boredom and education (I kid of course...), I was desperate for something, anything, to help me escape from my own grey-eyed monster of boredom and idleness.

Cue the complete Harry Potter collection, which my godfather got me for my first Christmas since entering high school.

Well.






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


I couldn't believe the little treasure that had dropped so neatly into my hands, wrapped up in snowflake paper and tied with a beautiful red bow that was as bright as Rudolph's shiny nose. Here was my manna from Heaven, the answer to my desperate prayers.

Soon enough, I had completely immersed myself in the magical, enchanting world of Harry Potter. I know that may seem like a cliché, but almost everybody's started out this way, but I believe that everybody's introduction to the world of books is unique and special, no matter what book it was that they started off with.

So, yes: I fell head over heels in love with this universe. Here was the very thing I had been looking for, my much longed for form of escapism: a whole new world, contained within the crisp pages of seven, mesmerising books that made my heart sing and my imagination grow like the garden of Eden.       

 

Well, after Harry Potter, I was starving for some fresh books to devour. And not just any books, oh no: Gone were the days of 'just settling' for anything that came my way.....I was ready for some serious fantasy. My addiction was only just beginning.

So I began to hunt fantasy books like a predator, relentlessly stalking my prey. Artemis Fowl, Eragon, Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl again because I loved it that much....

Fantasy was a just....magical. I know that's the foundation of it anyway, but to me it felt like pure magic. Here was a ready-made world, just waiting for me t jump into it and escape from everything: from school stress, from exams, from my veering-on-intolerable classmates....


I guess what I want anybody reading this to take away is this:

Fantasy is the most beautiful form of escapism: you can travel to distant worlds, go on amazing adventures, learn magic, fight a war, be a hero, and you can do all that just by picking up a book and beginning to read.

It's certainly done that for me.

Fantasy has helped me see that sometimes, the world isn't as it seems. That the world doesn't have to be as ordinary as it looks: that it can be better. 

                     That a pen and piece of paper can change the world in the eyes of the reader.

                                                        Because that's what it did for me.




What about you, my beautiful people? What's your favourite genre? Why do you like it, and what made you start reading it? What book has changed the way you see the world, or has left a great impact upon you? I would love to hear all of your thoughts, rambles and generally rants in the comments below, so don't be shy!

(P.S, what do all of you fine people think of my new design? I fancied a change, and I have to admit that I did change is significantly. Oh well. Does it look okay?)

It's been a thoughtful day, but for now....

Farewell, Internet!


- Sunset xx




Comments

  1. Haha such a fun post especially with Aladdin gifs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! Gotta love Aladdin: my cute little singing street-rat.

      Delete
  2. I like fantasy books, but I LOVE horror books. It always makes you wanting more and I can't get enough. Also, I enjoy the new design. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself do love a good horror: Skellington Hall and Tinderbox are two of the Scariest and CREEPIEST books I've ever read. My favourite category in the fantasy genre is Dark Fantasy, which has elements and motifs of horror.

      You like the design? YAY! Thank you, Catie, and hopefully I'll see you around the blogosphere!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts