Snazzy Snippets

Aloha, Internet.

So I've been doing my usual important, proactive activities (definitely not just scrolling through various blogs and drinking way too much hot chocolate. No way, not moi) when I happened to come across a little writerly link-up called Snazzy Snippets, which is hosted by the lovely Emily @ Loony Literate and Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout.

                         

I have shared snippets on this blog before, (If you're interested, HERE is a snippet from my current WIP, Guardians) So needless to say, the idea of sharing your snippets really appealed to me, mostly because I really need to hear some feedback on my current WIP (good or bad) because when I ask real-life people, the usual response is a dramatic eye roll and a "do I have to?"

So I kind of need your help, my lovely readers: FEEDBACK. FEEDBACK. FEEDBACK. (please)

But seriously, I would love it if I could get some feedback. You guys are really supportive and really helpful with this kind of thing, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could, because this is my first time participating in this linkup on this blog and I'm a tiny, teeny-weeny bit scared...

And with that, let's get on with the snippets!


A Snippet Where Characters Consider Their Backstory


"You foolish girl," Her mother snarled, curling her thin upper lip like a growling dog. Her electric-blue eyes pierced her young daughter's like a sharp knife, slicing into her soul and spilling her darkest secrets for all to see. "You idiotic, imprudent girl-"

"Mother, please-"

"Do you not realise what you've done?" Her mother's breathing quickened, fear and panic entering her eyes. A fire-like fury raged inside her like the strongest storm, making her blood rush through her body like high speed traffic on a Saturday night.

Kennedy trembled, her bony knees shaking and knocking painfully against each other. Her lips quivered and her blue eyes, not unlike her mother's, betrayed her fear and guilt.

"I'm sorry, Mother, I'm so sorry-"

But it was too late to apologise. Kennedy backed up against the wall, squeezing her eyes tightly shut as her mother advanced on her.....

I don't know if this one counts, but meh, I'll use it anyway. It's part of a dream one of my characters, Kennedy Chang, has one night. Well, it's actually a memory that relates to her backstory, but I'm not saying anymore because you know....spoilers.



A Snippet Featuring A Child


Oh, this one's going to be hard. Most of my characters are in the 18-21 age bracket.....Well, I'll try but you have been warned....

"What the hell are you doing out here alone, kid?"

Dan ran towards the small child, who was crouching low to the ground with her knees drawn towards her chest, her head bowed as her entire body racked with sobs. Her blonde hair was tied tightly into two, neat plaits with little red bows on the end and she wore one of those black-and-white frocks that looked like they came straight from the 1960s.

"Hey, hey, come on now...." Dan's face softened and he lifted a hand, placing it gently on the small of the little girl's back. "Everything's going to be alright..."

Sorry, I know that was really short, but if I reveal anymore...once again, spoilers. Let's just say there's a little surprise (hint: cute little girl = demonic creature) and our dashing Daniel may be in great peril. THE HORROR!

Image result for sheldon cooper the horror gif

A Snippet Featuring Something You Wrote More Than 2 Years Ago


Okay, this one's a bit tricky. I'm writing this on a new device I got, so I haven't got anything other than Guardians saved on it. But I'll try write something from memory....just bear with me, 'kay?

Mariko growled at the large, sneering soldier before her, the guards forcing her onto her knees the only reason why she hadn't already ripped out this idiot's throat.

"Well, look what we have here, men!" The soldier boomed, chuckling to himself as his lip curled into a sneer. "A little warlock rat! Oh, the hangman will have some fun with her-"

Mariko's eyes burned with barely-concealed fury as the men around her laughed, one of them even nudging her side with his boot. They talked about her as though she were not even there, speculating about which method of execution the High King would order for her, a warlock....

Yeah, that's not my finest piece of work. I abandoned that little project, entitled Masters of Creation, because I fell victim to the 'Shiny New Idea Syndrome'. I may just go back to it someday, because I actually really enjoyed writing it, but for now my loyalty lies with Guardians. And I really want to see how this goes....




So there you have it, folks! My first entry for Snazzy Snippets on this blog. I hope I didn't mess it up, and as always I would LOVE to hear your thoughts, opinions, or just general ranting really. But for now, my beautiful people.... 

Farewell, Internet!

- Sunset xx


















Comments

  1. *Gasp* You are a talented writer!! I don't know why you are scared because your writing is simply wonderful! It was easy to read and the description is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Vanessa! That's such a sweet thing to say, and thanks for the positive feedback!

      Delete
  2. Great snippets! I thought the first one was especially interesting because of the obvious tension present in that scene. I'd love to hear more of the character's internal monologue during that part so we could see even more of what's going on in Kennedy's head! But, all the same, the fear is very real in that scene. And even though you scrapped it, I kind of liked your second snippet, too! It was an interesting idea, anyway. Thanks for sharing your writing with us, Sunset! :D Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, do you think so? Thanks so much for your positivity, Heather! I really enjoyed writing that first part, because Kennedy is such a complex character and I love getting inside her head. Masters of Creation was fun to write, and I will go back to it someday, but for now I'm going to concentrate on Guardians. Thank you so much for commenting, and I'll see you around Heather!

      Delete
  3. OMG I LOVE THE SECOND SNIPPET. Plot twist!!
    TEN POINTS FOR YOU FOR THE BIG BANG THEORY GIF.

    Ellie | My Snazzy Snippets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheldon Cooper is my spirit animal :) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. I love these, especially the one about the child. So cute! Ah, the Shiny New Idea Syndrome. I have waaaaayy too many projects that have fallen prey to that. Shiny New Ideas are such a mixed blessing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, they can be. Too many stories and ideas have ended up on the scrapheap because of the Shiny New Idea Syndrome.

      Thanks for such a nice comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the snippets (even though that child may not be as cute when it = demonic creature) and thanks for visiting, Imogen!

      Delete
  5. The child one is so creepy, especially knowing that she's not actually a child. *shudders* And you went into such great detail with her, too, and I was really cheering for Dan there. WHY WOULD YOU MAKE HER EVIL?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhaha! That child turns out to be DELICIOUSLY evil! *sighs* I always did love a good antagonist, or even just a creepy character...

      Delete
  6. Oh man, that girl in the second snippet is why I don't trust cute children in stories! And that first snippet is so interesting - you use similes really well there, and I'm so curious about why Kennedy would be having such a dream. Great snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cilla! Cute children must never be trusted in novels: it's the golden rule. And Kennedy's dream is the first of many, and I cannot wait to elaborate on her mysterious past....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts