Thursday, 14 July 2016

The Struggles Of Writing Romance: Explained By Tina Belcher

                                         

                                                 


When it comes to writing romance, asking me about it is pretty much like asking Professor Snape to hand out Valentine's Day chocolates: it will get you nothing but a lingering, cold stare until you eventually back away and take whatever mushy, hearts-and-pink covered monstrosity you brought with you.

I'm sorry, but I am not a romantic. I don't look at the world through rose-tinted glasses and leap into the arms of faith with my eyes shut blind.

I am practical. I walk with my eyes open, with a destination in mind. I deal in facts and feelings and truths. I'm not very sentimental.

I am, however, quite an emotional being. And this conflicts with all that I have said above. My personality type is INFJ, which means that I am intuitive and in touch with emotions: just maybe more so others than my own.

And my non-romanticism makes writing lovey-dovey scenes very, very difficult for me.

  

Love is complex. It is hard work and tears and something to fight for and I respect that. I envy those who can effortlessly pull of those complicated relationships in their books and write killer scenes between couples that make me want to open my window and scream to the world that I just fell in love with two people at once, but I want them to be together!

Maybe it's because I have never been in love.

I know a parent's love. I know sibling love, friendship-love......but I have never felt that intense, soul-consuming love love. You know what I mean?

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is love triangles. I mean, when other people write them it usually goes like this:


     


HOWEVER, when I write them they tend to veer in this direction:





And I know that I have to work on my romance skills. In my first book of what I hope will be a series, there are two couples. One have a nasty break-up before the book even begins, and the other....well, I can't say anything about the other.


What about you guys? Do you ever struggle to write romance? What couples do you ship at the moment? Any useful tips? Oh, and as always, how's the WIPs going?

It's been a short post, Internet, but I'm swamped with a chapter I'm making myself complete tonight. Good luck with your day and your efforts and all that you do, and for now....

Farewell, Internet!


- Sunset xx



      










































4 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite of this. Romance comes easy to me, being a hopeless romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clash of the romanticisms :) I envy you....

      Delete
  2. I'm an INTJ, similar to yourself, but I'm odd.....for some reason, I'm a huge daydreamer, so romance comes slightly easier to me than it otherwise would, but it's still hard.
    dID YOU JUST ASK ME ABOUT MY SHIPS? Well. My OTP is, of course, Erestor and Glorfindel from LOTR. They're not very well-known characters since neither made it into the movie, but they're these adorable lil elven nerdy idiots who are JUST. SO. CUTE. Then I also ship Lan and Nynaeve from the Wheel of Time series and Kanan and Hera from Star Wars Rebels. <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to regret broadcasting to the world that I'm not a romanticist, because it seems you all have it easier than me. It's not that I don't believe in romance and don't want to be swept off my feet, it's just that I know sometimes that isn't the case and it's sort of a second-priority for me.

    OTPS! Magnus and Alec from TMI, Romione, Percabeth, Syann....I've got so many.

    ReplyDelete