Beautiful People - Rue Nolan



Yes, I know that I'm late to the party. But I brought a new WIP and badass Irish characters to make up for it! (I'll elaborate on this later. Or I might forget. I'll try not to forget, okay?)

So today I am jumping on the metaphorical bandwagon and participating in Beautiful People, which is hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further. I'm actually quite the fan of this writerly link-up, and so let's get started!

The character I am going to use for this is my lovely, slightly-hostile Irish lady Rue Nolan!

 

Give a brief overview of their looks. (Include a photo if you want!)

 
Like this except maybe upside down and rotated to appear right-side-up?
 
 
Rue has wispy, chocolate-brown hair that she describes as "completely unextraordinary". Her eyes are a delicate shade of green, like the colour of apple juice, and she has the traditional Irish complexion of porcelain skin. She has quite a sharp face, angular cheekbones and a 'stubborn' chin.
 

Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.

 
"Rue," Katherine laughed, her voice like church bells on a Sunday afternoon. "Maybe if you smiled a little bit more you would have a boyfriend. You're so pretty when you're actually smiling..."
 
Rue rolled her eyes and turned away from her friend, catching a glimpse of herself in Katherine's wall-length mirror. She supposed that she wasn't exactly hideous: she wasn't like a troll under the town bridge (although sometimes she liked to go there and listen to the cars rushing past).

Her face was knife-like; sharp at every edge. Her jawline could slice your finger open if you weren't careful, and her sharp chin was razor-like and a bit too jutting-out for her liking. Her mother described her as 'angular'. Rue described herself as completely unextraordinary. Unlike Katherine; beautiful, stunning Katherine Keane with hair like a golden river and intelligent eyes that reminded Rue of grey skies and stormclouds.
 

What is the first thing people might notice about them?

 
 I would hope this wouldn't be the case, but in real-life people are not very subtle: Rue has hearing aids, and maybe this would be what people might notice? I don't know.
 

What are their unique features? (Ex: freckles, big ears, birthmark, scars, etc.)

 
Her sharp face, probably. Rue also has a small birthmark on her shoulder in a weird smudge-y shape that she despises.
 

How tall are they? What is their build (Ex: stocky, slender, petite, etc.)

 
 Rue is quite short, I haven't got her exact height yet and I don't think she'd tell anyone 'cause she's quite self-conscious, and she is quite thin. She doesn't have a large appetite, and she likes walking around the area she lives and people-watching so she has a healthy lifestyle.
 
 

What is their posture like? How do they usually carry themselves?

 
Rue has always been used to living in the shadow of her friend, Katherine. She was always the talkative one, the funny one, the girl that everybody loved and hated at the same time. Rue was always in the background, and she was okay with that: being friends with Katherine was glory enough.
 
Because of this, Rue carries herself in a way that is a mixture of forget-I'm-here and bite-me-peasants. She has this sort of hostile front that she adopted after Katherine's disappearance, because that girl was her shield and now that she's gone Rue feels vulnerable. Also, she naturally shies away from the spotlight, and so she prefers to blend in than to stand out.
 

Your character has been seen on a “lazy day” (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?

 
 On a lazy day, you'd probably find Rue under the town bridge listening to the cars rushing past. There's a small stream nearby that she really likes too. And she'd probably just be wearing the most casual of clothes, like a hoodie and denim jeans. But her trademark black ankleboots are always worn, no matter what. That girl could be fighting in a war and she'd still wear those boots.
 

Do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? Do they have any article of clothing or accessory that could be considered their trademark?

 
 Yeah. Rue is very fond of her black ankleboots, and she doesn't like wearing jewellery so that's a definite no-no.
 
Image result for i love boots gif
 

Have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? Explain!

 
 Well, people used to make fun of her hearing aids before Katherine quickly put a stop to that. Rue used to be really self-conscious about them but now she accepts that she has them and they're not going away and if someone has a problem with it then they can explain it to her fist :)
 

Are they happy with how they look? If they could change anything about their appearance, what would it be?

 
Rue would probably get rid of her birthmark. And maybe be a little bit taller so that when her friend Dominic puts things on the high shelf she can actually reach them :) But overall, she grows to be more confident and happy with her appearance, whereas before she was always comparing herself to Katherine.

 

 
 
So that was Rue. What'cha think, Internet? Do you want to hear more about my new project? Should I post about it? Are you participating in Beautiful People? (You should. Really should).
 
Let me know in the comments below!
 
(hey, that rhymed....whaddaya know ;))
 
I should stop that.
 
I'll stop.
 
(p.s -  I DYED MY HAIR PURPLE EEEK)


 
 
Farewell, Internet!
 
-Sunset xx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Nice! I've seen this feature over at Cait's blog and I like how you've fleshed out Rue. Seems like a great way to spruce up those characters. :) I like that she hangs out under a bridge listening to cars. And the bite-me-peasants line was funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! (No I did not use that line in real-life...ish). I really do like Rue, as we get to see her go through a sort of character arc throughout the course of the book. And the whole bridges thing just came to me while I was writing this, and so I grabbed my notebook and began scribbling it into her profile!

      Delete
  2. This is really neat idea haha I'm loving it. Purple hair! Girl you are so brave!! You should put up a photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the way I look in pictures!!! I don't know, maybe I'll do a backshot. But I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

      Thanks for dropping by, Vanessa!

      Delete
  3. This was really good! And did you do like a dark-midnight purple or a light-lilac purple? I'm really curious, and that was a big risk. You go, girl! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud to say that I now have dark-midnight purple hair! I really like it, and I feel a lot more confident with my new hair. Thanks for the positivity, Catie!

      Delete
  4. I really like the way Rue sounds. Purple hair. I colored mine a dark black/blue a few times. Nothing too wild for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved unusual-coloured hair! It's just so striking, isn't it? Blue hair always appealed to me, but I think I'll stick with purple...for now :)

      Delete
  5. Rue sounds so awesome! "And if someone has a problem with it then they can explain it to her fist." YES. I'm so going to use that one day, if you don't mind. And ankle boots! *high fives*

    YES TO PURPLE HAIR. That's so awesome! (Do we get a picture...?) I dyed a purple streak in my hair like six months ago and I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I'm really loving my hair at the minute, whereas before I was just kind of 'meh' about the way it looked. I'm so happy I did it!

      And use that quote wherever you want! I know I might.....:)

      Delete
  6. Yes , posture is one of the important factors and that creates a great impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Rue begins to walk with more confidence throughout the book, as she kind of goes through a journey of self-acceptance.

      Delete
  7. I'm really liking this Rue Character! And I love the idea of this post/blog-meme. I've read a couple over on Caits blog before. Although I do need a little clarification, is Rue a character in a book you're writing? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is! It's my new writing project that I'll hopefully post a little bit more about in future. Sorry for the confusion!

      And yeah, I love Beautiful People. Cait's blog is brilliant, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I saw your comment on my blog and was inclined to check out yours. I really appreciate all of the fangirling. From a person who is also obsessed with Dan Howell, it is difficult to find others who also share the will to live virtually. Congrats on the hair and good luck for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed my visit to your blog, and hopefully I'll see you around the Internet soon! :)

      Delete
  9. I have a hearing loss and wear hearing aids in both ears. There are a shortage of hard-of-hearing characters in literature. Hopefully your Rue can accurately represent the HOH community and jump-start more HOH characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I have a friend who is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids, and she tells me how frustrating it is not to see herself and people like her represented. Thank you so much for your comment, Kiara!

      Delete
  10. I'm also participating in BP this month, so I was looking through the linkup and happened across your blog here. Rue sounds awesome! She kinda reminds me of Fiona Glenanne from Burn Notice (another "slightly-hostile Irish lady," haha). It's neat how appearance can reveal so much about a character, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is. I find that you can tell a lot about a character from their posture especially.

      I've never read Burn Notice, but I'll be sure to wiki it later! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts