Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Opening Lines Will Be The Death of Me

Opening lines. Just typing those two words makes me want to bash my head against a brick wall. They scare me, they confuse me and most of all? I can't seem to find the perfect one. I've gone through quite a lot of them recently, including....

  • "The day that Kace Kimura died was also the day that her grandmother used the phone for the first time"

  • "The city of Tanrei was the home of many secrets, concealed under a thin layer of cityscape and coast and Japanese sunshine"

  • "Grandma, I don't care what the Nigerian prince told you in his e-mail, do not give him your bank details"

 Ugh. Three openers, three failures, and an overall feeling of suckiness. Ugh ugh ugh.....
 

Anyways, whilst I'm over here throwing myself a pity party, I'm going to make myself go insane by trying to come up with the perfect opening line.

I know that within the first page, you have to grip the reader. No, actually, within the first line you have to grip the reader. And after my battle with writer's block I'm not sure I want to get into that ring again for round two....so I'm trying to squeeze my brain into a coherent sentence that is semi-legible and grabs the reader. Wish me luck, folks!
 




Do you struggle with opening lines as much as I do? Or do they come naturally to you? Do mine really suck as much as my negatively-inclined mind thinks they do?
 
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, and hopefully I'll get struck with inspiration soon. But for now....
 
Farewell, Internet!
 
 
- Sunset xx

8 comments:

  1. Honest opinion ahead: I really liked the first opening line and the third one made me smile. But of course you shouldn't use them if they don't feel right for you. I know that feel, opening lines are hard. I'm sure the perfect one will pop up in your mind soon enough ;)

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Envy! I kind of like the first one and I kind of don't....gah curse you negativity!

      Delete
  2. Hey Sunset, I think the first one was the best out of the three. I like the tone of it. Just my opinion though. :D
    Good luck in your writing!

    Skylar | Skywriting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to me that you've said that, Skylar! Thanks for your opinion x

      Delete
  3. I really like the first line, it definitely gets me interested to read more. I hope that writers block isn't too bad! Good luck with your writing, I'm absolutely sure whatever line you pick will be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catie! I think this is just like residual (hope that's a word) writers block, and eventually I'll settle on an opening line.

      Delete
  4. OPENING LINES ARE HORRID, I FEEL YOU. Okay, but do you know what the worst thing is?? For some reason, I can come up with good opening lines for literally every chapter except my first one. Yours were excellent, though! I really liked the first and third.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I actually went with the first line, and CHAPTER UNO IS COMPLETO!

      I'm jealous of this abnormal opening-line ability of yours. TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

      Delete