Saturday, 5 November 2016

Beautiful Books - My Geeky Mythology Obsession + My New Project Revealed


Hello, Internet-using lifeforms. Yes, I have been absent. No, I have not been eaten by vengeful monkeys intent on the destruction of the human race. Although that would certainly be quite the adventure.

But I am back with a bang and Beautiful Books, a writerly link-up hosted by Sky and Cait that focuses on your current WIPs. Technically, this linkup is supposed to be for NaNo writers, but we're just going to push that under the carpet for a bit...

I don't know if many of you know this, but I've recently began a not so secret project that I've been hesitant to share on the Internet because 1) judgement is ew and 2) I've started and stopped so many novels in pursuits of the cure to my month-long writer's block.

 
 
But today, I am happy to report, I wrote a prologue and a full chaptero uno today and I haven't felt this excited about a new WIP since Guardians. Things are finally starting to look up.

So without further delay, let's go!


Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?

 
My mental state has skyrocketed. Finally, writer's block seems to be fading into the distance and out of the grey has erupted my WIP!
 
My actual novel is coming along nicely. I officially began my first draft today (yay) and my prologue and chapter one are written! Obviously it needs serious editing, but I'm trying to hold off my inner critic for a while so that I can get the bones of it written.
 
Oh, I haven't even told you the name of my novel! I'm sorry about that. My WIP is called These Darkened Hours, and it focuses a lot on old Irish mythology and the modern world being forced to collide. Basically, it includes:
 
  • sassy twins with magic powers
  • a dark prince with a major crush on one-half of the aforementioned twins
  • an evil Greek witch with an attitude problem
  • random quotes from dead poets
 

What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?

 
I am quite self-conscious about my prologue ('cause it kind of sucks) so I'm going to use my chapter one opening instead: chapter uno is called Darkness Safe, as each chapter title is taken from a poem by C.S Lewis called A Country Blind.
 
*
 
Nessa Dougherty kicked the russet-brown carpet of the nurse's office with a scowl, gripping the sides of the plastic chair she sat on as she did so. The desk in front of her, littered with papers and documents and home to a large red mug that read World's Best Auntie, belonged to the school nurse, a rather plump lady known to students and staff alike as Panda.
 
 

Who’s your current favourite character in your novel?

 
WHY WOULD YOU ASK ME THIS?
 
Um, I guess I'd have to go with my character Lex, a twin and a bookish warlock dragged kicking and screaming (literally, 'cause he's sort of kidnapped) from the modern world into the land of √Čire. Lex is a bit of a bookworm (remind you of anyone?) and he loves nothing better than to quote his favourite poets to anyone who'll listen....mostly because the people of √Čire have never heard of the poets from our world, which Lex thinks is a tragedy.
 
 
 


What do you love about your novel so far?

 
I love the landscapes I get to write about! Ireland is such a beautiful place of outstanding natural beauty, and getting to write about it is a great privilege. I'M A DESCRIPTION JUNKIE 'KAY?
 


Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?

 
Um, I spelled 'that' as 'taht'
 
 *ashamed-face*
 


What is your favourite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?

 
 Okay, I'm going to cheat here. I LOVE writing the climactic parts of my novel - like when Lex is kidnapped, or Nessa (his twin) discovers              (not revealing it yet, sorry!). I suppose that would be...the middle?
 

What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!

 
I write in the same armchair every day because it makes me feel very intellectual, I drink buckets of hot chocolate and tea, I listen to a LOT of dramatic music + compositions, and I write best in the evening and at night.
 


How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?

 
It depends who's around me, really. I'll show my friend Lottie anything, even if it's a crappy first draft, but I might be a bit defensive around other people if I don't know them well or if I don't think the writing's very good. Oh, and I'll show my English teacher anything. She's a legend.
 

 

 

What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?

 
A picture of my father on my bedside cabinet. He died this year and I write for him every day, because any success I have in the future will be dedicated completely and utterly to him.

 

What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?

 
1) Write whatever pulls on your heartstrings so hard they threaten to break. (I've said this before but ah well)
 
 
 
 
 
Ah, I love these writerly link-ups. They're brilliant to do and a great way to interact with the writing community.
 
How are your own WIPs going? Any victories or hardships? Tell me!
 
 
 
- Sunset xx 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


12 comments:

  1. Yay! Write all the things! Good to have you back in the world of the writing. =D Greek and Irish mythology are some of my favorites and it's exciting to see them collide. I am so sorry to hear about your father, but I am sure he would be proud of you for writing as you do. Keep at it!
    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. Glad to be back, and isn't mythology great? I've always been interested in it, so I thought hey - why not actually do something about this weird love of mythish things?

      Delete
  2. ARE LEX AND THE PRINCE GOING TO BE A THING? I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER IF THAT IS THE CASE. Fantasy gay > literally everything except dragons. (Although I do think the Greek witch is going to be my favorite.)

    IRELAND YES.

    I'm so happy you're back and that your writing is going so splendidly! Best of luck <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not letting anything slip just yet...*eyebrow wiggle of mystery*, although I have to admit that dragons are pretty awesome.

      P.S - Carman (the Greek witch) is interesting to write. Even though she's technically the antagonist of my story, is it wrong that I kind of like her?

      Delete
  3. I love reading first paragraphs! You've captured a lot of setting and personality into one paragraph, I commend you on your writing skills. :) I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I think it's incredible that you are able to motivate yourself for your father. Good luck with any future WIPs, hope they are rewarding and fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! (ps - glad to see you're back!) I'm sort-of okay with my first paragraph, but I know that it can be better. But for now, my inner editor must be silenced in order for the first draft to actually be born :)

      Delete
  4. Awwww. *hugs* I'm so sorry about your dad. I lost my birthdad a year after I was born. I'm sure your dad is proud of you. I loooove Greek Mythology! And yay! Tea drinkers unite! Best wishes writing your novel!

    My BB: http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2016/11/beautiful-books-2016-novel-update.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. My sympathies for your own father, I am sure that he watches over you <3

      I myself am a HUGE mythology fan. And tea. I need tea to live.

      Delete
  5. EEEEEEEEEEEP YOUR WIP SOUNDS SO LOVELY. SASSY TWINS AND A DARK PRINCE AND MYTHOLOGY OH MY GOODNESS. THE QUESTION IS: WHERE DO I PREORDER THIS THING??? because I need it in my hands stat. ;) Also I loved reading about your writing process! Armchairs are a lovely place to write. :')

    >><<
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU ABBIEE YOU BEAUTIFUL CREATURE you just made my day! :) Armchairs are my favourite things in the world other than of course writing and blogging and pictures of dinosaurs with Dan Howell's face photoshopped onto them.

      Delete
  6. Panda? That's amusing. :) It made me want to read more about the character, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nurse gets called Panda because she always smudges her black eyeshadow around her eyes , making her look very panda-like. Thank you!

      Delete