May Writing Playlist + Exams Hath Returned To Antagonise Me


I've been trying to put together a writing playlist for These Darkened Hours, and needless to say it's been...difficult. I mean, why are there no songs that completely and utterly relate to every single scene that pops into my sleep-deprived head? (pfft, it's a conspiracy)

I usually have this problem with writing playlists when I'm writing a high fantasy novel: it is simply very hard to find songs that apply to my WIP. Maybe my standards are too high. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Image result for celebration gif

But so far, I've found some pretty good songs! I mean, I'd like to get more, and maybe broaden my horizons in terms of genre, etc. but the search continues, and in the meantime I've fallen in love with so many different artists and songs.

So below I have compiled a list of these songs along with a brief description of why I have picked them/ for what purpose.

1. "Carry Me" by Eurielle

While you sleep, dream of me // I’ll be keeping our memories // Living in my heart and soul // Waiting for the day // When we will be together again

This song is so pure, so beautifully written and performed that I had to include it in this list. I've chosen it in relation to not just a specific scene, but to a specific plotline *hint hint* and story within my WIP. It relates to it so much, and honestly is the perfect song for it. The lyrics describe it perfectly, I almost want to cry. Plus, Eurielle is amazing.

2. "Assassin's Creed III" by Lindsey Stirling

Whilst the video game is awesome, this song is (dare I say it?) just as good. Despite there being no words, just Lindsey with her good ol' violin, it's awesome for some of my magic-fight scenes and great to plot/write to, as is many of Lindsey Stirling's work. She's great, you should definitely check her out.

3. "City of the Dead" by Eurielle

I'm scared of what is in my head // What's inside my soul // I feel like I'm running, but getting nowhere // Fear is suffocating me // I can't breathe // I feel like I'm drowning, I'm sinking deeper

Yep, she's back. I think the chorus of this song is in Latin, which only makes it sound even better, and it's so dramatic and great for writing epic battle scenes, particularly those involving (you guessed it) magic.


Feels like I'm falling, // Into a world // I can't control // I hear it calling, // Down in my soul. // Gripping my bones, // It won't let go.

Ruelle has always been a long-time favourite of mine, and this song in particular is very good for describing my protagonists and helping me get into their mind-sets to write about them.

5. "Homeostasis" by Nostalghia

I'm changing // I'm spinning // I'm morphogenic // ...I'm tired // I'm wasting // I'm morphogenic

I'll admit, when I first heard this song, I found it a little...strange. But then I realised it was a really cool kind of strange, and I've honestly never heard a song performed like this. It's unique, definitely, and I'd encourage you to form your own opinion about it. For me, this song helps me with regards to my main antagonist, Carman, as it helps me get into her head and get the feel of her, you know? Give it a shot. You might be surprised.

Talk to me! What's some of your favourite songs? I would LOVE to hear your recommendations, I'm in desperate need of new material. Do you have a writing playlist?

Hail and farewell, until next time,

- Sunset xx

PS - Posting may be kind of erratic due to exams, which I've got for a couple weeks and are really important at the moment. Will try my best to keep posting, though, so stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Best of luck with your exams, girl!

    I do indeed create writing playlists, and they're really helpful for getting into the mood of my story when I brainstorm and write. Some of my current favorite songs: "Lost in Stereo" by All Time Low, "Get Free" by Whissel, and pretty much all of Deus Ex Machina by Greek Fire. :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check them out, thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete

Post a Comment